Friday 9 August 2013

The Conjuring and Indian Cinegoers

It is only few months back I started watching Horror films. I have been ignoring them for a long time now. But once I started, I have become more and more fascinated with them. Business of scaring is not that easy. After I heard good words about the The Conjuring directed by James Wan who helmed Saw earlier, I thought that this was the right film to go to the theater to experience horror in full blown proportion.

All my excitement of enjoying the movie vanished as the audience in the hall didn't stop laughing and talking loudly scene after scene. They were talking, laughing, clapping as if they wanted to prove that they are not at all scared by the film. It must be noted that in the film, clapping by the ghost in the beginning portion of the film is used extremely well. The audience showed even more enthusiasm in clapping every now and then as the characters starts wandering in their newly occupied house, ruining the effect on screen by large extent. But fortunately, movie got scary enough to shut most of them even though not all. After I posted about this on Facebook, got to know that the scenario was same in many other theaters also. Many people I know who went to watch this movie had to bear really bad audience!

It is noted that in India people go for to theater not with the intention to watch movie but to hang out, eat, to have good time. I have noticed that many a times people land up to theater without even knowing which movie is playing! They start asking who is the hero of the film after being seated for the film. Once it starts boring them, they start commenting on the scenes causing irritation to those who are really interested in watching.   


There are some movies that asks for complete attention of the audience. One needs to get completely absorbed with the mood of the film. In the recent time, Ship of Theseus and Lootera are two Indian films that fall into this category. They cater to a different sensibility altogether. Unless one gets to immerse completely in them, it is not possible to appreciate. But with the nuisance creating audience, whole experience can get very very frustrating. I was fortunate that I didn't go through it while watching both unlike my brother who had terrible experience while watching Lootera ( There were hardly 10 people in the theater when I watched it :-) ) 

For me, watching a movie is a serious business even if it is at home. I always prefer to watch  a movie without any kind of disruptions. I don't like to skip the opening credits, I don't like to watch movies while eating meals/lying on the bed. So, obviously when a person is creating nuisance even at theater, it becomes very hard to enjoy what I am seeing. 

Signing off the rant with a video of Julie Delpy's message to the audience who talk while show is on : 



Don't Talk - Julie Delpy and Ethan Hawke - CENSORED from Alamo Drafthouse on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment